Wednesday, June 20, 2012

All About Chance


A month ago Chance turned 2 years old. He seems so big, but in many ways he does not seem like a two year old. He has come so far in the last 6 months with the therapies we have had him in, but he is still considered severely delayed in communication and social interaction. This is very hard for me to admit because I think I have been in denial for some time. Some days I find myself thinking something might be wrong with him, and some days I just think he's a little behind. At his two year checkup we were referred to not only a speech therapist, but also a pediatric psychologist and a developmental pediatrician to have him evaluated for Autism. In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing, it is not life threatening, but I am scared out of my mind.

I have not talked to anyone about this, even family. I don't want anyone to view my baby differently or feel sorry for him. I will have to though. He is old enough that people notice when he acts differently and that he doesn't do all the "normal" two year old things.

What he does do is make me laugh every day. He loves to snuggle at bed time and he loves to help me with dishes and laundry. He also loves to aggravate his big brother. For a couple days he refused to eat until I figured out that he was claiming his independence and had to feed himself. He now sleeps in a big boy bed, even if it is a struggle to get him to stay in it.


He is a sweetheart and we love him no matter what.

1 comment:

  1. This was a hard post to write I am sure but hopefully it helped you to get some of those feelings in writing. I feel the same way about Elise's facial features and the surgeons not knowing what caused it and if it will worsen etc. I know it isn't anything in the BIG scheme of things, but it is to her mommy. I will be praying for the appointment and that you can feel calm. I will also pray for continued improvement in his therapies. Love ya Keri.

    ReplyDelete