Thursday, August 25, 2011

Back to Work

Paul had surgery 5 weeks ago, and this is his first week back at work. The kids and I miss having him here, but I admit it's nice to be back to our normal routine and have the house back in order.

He had been having pain in his hip and lower back for almost a year before they found out what was wrong. Basically, the cartilage cushioning the hip socket was displaced and the bones were rubbing on each other. The "ball" on his leg bone had a flat part where it had been rubbing on the hip socket. They were able to fix it, but the recovery has been brutal. I joked that his schedule of meds and physical therapy was more demanding than a newborn (but really it was). He had to spend 6 hours a day in a machine that moved his leg up and down to prevent scar tissue from forming, and I had to rotate his leg 20 times both ways, 5 times a day.


He was on crutches up until this week, but still can only put partial weight on his leg. I definately took for granted how "much" he helps me. I put much in quotes because I still wouldn't say he helps a ton, but some is more than the not-at-all I've had for the last 5 weeks. Usually we tag team bedtime and each put one down. I'm very ready for that again. I've been short changing both boys with a very abreviated bedtime routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment